Monday, September 10, 2012

free baldin'

As I continue with posts, one of my main purposes for this blog is to provide help and guidance to other cancer patients out there who are just as confused and scared as I was.  With tips and remedies, I hope to cover every single thing I know about dealing with cancer, especially for young adult girls.  One of the main downsides of cancer and chemo treatments(especially for girls) is the hair loss.  For me, my little teenage world came crashing down when I found out I would lose the luscious locks that dangled all the way down to my lower back.  However, losing my hair became a small feat as I was faced with surgeries, chemo, and lots and lots of nausea.  I just figured hair grows back and I'd try my hardest to rock the heck out of having no hair.  So when the day came to shave my head, I didn't cry, surprisingly.  Nowadays, it pisses me off hearing girls complain about their haircuts.  Last week, it was the makeover episode of America's Next Top Model (I think every girl knows what I'm talking about) and it made me sick listening to the girls literally cry over their hair and get upset if even two inches were cut off.  There are girls everywhere either shaving their heads or losing their hair completely with no choice in the matter.  And to me, those girls, teenagers, and women are way more gorgeous than any supermodel.  Okay.  Sorry I got a little carried away there.  Where were we....yes shaving my head.  The scariest part was when my hair started falling out.  I would just run my fingers gently through my hair and dozens of strands would effortlessly detach themselves from my head.  I had to wear my hair in a ponytail and headband to sleep to keep from more hair falling out during the night.  So I decided to shave it all off so I wouldn't have to watch my hair wither away day after day.  It was surprisingly invigorating.  Not ever in my life would I have done that voluntarily.  I have freckles on my head!!! I never had a chance to see my HEAD! And amazingly enough, my boyfriend adored my beautiful bald head, and to this day claims he actually misses it(but is happy that it's full of hair again).  So screw hair! SCREW CANCER!  If you're going through the hair loss, just own it!  Know that it'll grow back.  And if you're wondering what I wore on my hairless head, I'll write a post soon about scarves and how to tie them(only applies to girls, of course).  But for now, here are some pictures, taken by a close family friend Rebecca Dever, of the day I shaved my head!








My mother was the one who had the honor of shaving my head.  To be honest, I think this day was harder for her than it was for me.

Here's some more pictures of my freckly head after my hair completely fell out.  The best part is being able to draw on it!!  I was privileged to be the subject of a photo project for my friend Kenzie Mitchell, and it was super fun:)







###Alexis

No comments:

Post a Comment